Sunday 4 January 2015

'Just what do you do young lady?'

The other day an aunt asked what I did for a living. I replied that I help people fall in love. She gave me a perplexed look and walked away, mumbling something about new age career choices and so on. Ah well, no. Mine is not a 'new age career choice'. In fact, it is known to be the world's second oldest profession and I have about seventeen years of experience doing what I do. 

In my second stint in advertising, I have decided to view my profession differently. The job of a brand strategist is not to help companies sell their wares but to help people find love in their kitchens, garages, bars, banks, wardrobes and even in their bathrooms. I believe that when we fall in love, justifications be damned, we find our own reasons to reach out for the brand again and again. We want to stand on the rooftops and shout out loud about it. What's more, we overlook every flaw and make others too find a reason to love what we love. If it is not love, what else explains the queue outside Apple store hours before the latest offering is put on the shelves or people's willingness to pay 300% premium for a cup of coffee?

So, wish me luck as I jump into the next 360 days of helping people find love in their coffee cups, hair oil bottles and even financial investments.  
















No comments: