Business Standard published some interesting stats on India's social media usage. The following points were covered:
- By December 2012, the number of active social media users in India were 62 million. The number is expected to grow to 66 million by June 2013
- College going students and young men form 84% of the social media users base which is about 20.3 million
- 66% of social media users reside in small town of Urban India. About a quarter of the total user base reside in cities less than 2 lakh population while another 11% are in cities between 2 and 5 lakh population
- Social networking often serves as one of the first uses of the internet apart from the usual such as mails, music and games
- As per a survey by IAMAI, 33% of the respondents said that Social Media is their main activity online compared to 32% who voted for mail
With the social media proliferating like wildfire in the smaller cities of India, are marketers taking note?